The 90s was a decade known for its bold fashion trends and unique style. From grunge flannel shirts to platform sneakers, the 90s left a lasting impact on popular culture. One noticeable trend from this era that is making a comeback is 90s hair accessories. These nostalgic accessories, including butterfly clips, scrunchies, and headbands, are gaining popularity once again among fashion-forward individuals of all ages. Whether it’s embracing a childhood love for these accessories or discovering them for the first time, the resurgence of 90s hair accessories is a fun and stylish way to add some retro flair to any hairstyle. In this article, we will explore the nostalgia of 90s hair accessories and why they are making a comeback in the fashion world.
The Rise of the Scrunchie
In the 90s, one hair accessory that reigned supreme was the scrunchie. These fabric-covered elastic bands became a must-have item for girls and women alike. They were known for their versatility and ability to add a pop of color or pattern to any hairstyle. The scrunchie craze reached its peak in the 90s, with everyone from celebrities to schoolgirls sporting these fashionable hair accessories.
Different Styles and Variations of Scrunchies
From vibrant neon colors to floral prints, scrunchies came in a wide range of styles and variations. Here are some popular types of scrunchies that were popular during the 90s:
1. Velvet Scrunchies: Velvet scrunchies were a favorite among fashion-forward individuals. They added a touch of glamour and sophistication to any hairstyle.
2. Satin Scrunchies: Satin scrunchies were perfect for adding a luxurious and elegant touch to a hairstyle. They were often worn for special occasions or evenings out.
3. Patterned Scrunchies: Patterned scrunchies came in a variety of prints and designs. From floral patterns to animal prints, these scrunchies allowed individuals to express their personal style.
4. Scrunchie Bracelets: Some scrunchies were designed to be worn on the wrist as a trendy accessory when not in use. They were commonly referred to as “scrunchie bracelets” and were a popular choice among fashion-conscious individuals.
Whether you wore them in your hair or as a stylish wrist accessory, scrunchies were a staple of 90s fashion. They added a touch of playfulness and personality to any look and were a must-have accessory for any fashion-forward individual.
III. Butterfly Clips
Butterfly Clips: A Symbol of the 90’s
In the 90’s, one hair accessory that became an iconic symbol of the decade was the butterfly clip. These colorful and whimsical clips were a staple in every girl’s hair, whether it was for everyday wear or special occasions. The butterfly clips came in various shapes, sizes, and designs, adding a touch of fun and playfulness to hairstyles. They were often seen adorning ponytails, braids, and updos, adding a pop of color and style. As trends come and go, the butterfly clip continues to hold a nostalgic charm, reminding us of the fashion and beauty trends of the 90’s.
How to Style Hair with Butterfly Clips
If you want to embrace the 90’s vibe and incorporate butterfly clips into your hairstyle, here are some creative ways to style your hair with these nostalgic accessories:
1. Half-Up Hairstyle: Create a half-up hairstyle by gathering the top section of your hair and securing it with a butterfly clip. This adds a playful and vintage touch to a classic hairstyle.
2. Side Swept Hair: Sweep your hair to one side and secure it with a butterfly clip. This look is effortless yet stylish, perfect for a casual day out or a night on the town.
3. Boho Braids: Incorporate butterfly clips into boho-inspired braided hairstyles. Use the clips to secure the ends of the braids or slide them along the length of the braid for a whimsical look.
4. Twist and Clip: Twist sections of your hair and secure them with butterfly clips for a chic and effortless updo. This style is perfect for special occasions or when you want to add a touch of vintage glamour to your look.
Remember, the key with butterfly clips is to have fun and experiment with different styles. Let your creativity shine and embrace the 90’s nostalgia with these iconic hair accessories.
IV. Claw Clips
Claw clips were a popular hair accessory in the 90s and continue to be a versatile and stylish choice today. These clips come in various sizes and designs, making them suitable for different hair types and styles.
The Versatility of Claw Clips
One of the reasons why claw clips were so popular is their versatility. They can be used to create various hairstyles and can hold hair securely in place. Here are some creative ways to use claw clips for different hairstyles:
- Half-Up, Half-Down: Use a claw clip to pin back the top section of your hair while leaving the rest down for a chic and effortless look.
- Messy Bun: Gather your hair into a loose bun and secure it with a large claw clip for a relaxed and trendy hairstyle.
- French Twist: Twist your hair upwards and secure it with a claw clip for an elegant and sophisticated updo.
- Side Swept: Create a deep side part and use a claw clip to secure the hair on one side for a stylish and asymmetrical look.
Creative Ways to Use Claw Clips for Different Hairstyles
Claw clips can also be used as decorative accents in various hairstyles. Here are some creative ideas:
- Use a decorative claw clip to add flair to a simple ponytail or bun.
- Stack multiple claw clips of different sizes and colors to create a unique and eye-catching hair accessory.
- Place a claw clip on the side of your head and clip a small section of hair behind it for a trendy and edgy look.
- Use a claw clip with a statement design, such as pearls or rhinestones, to add a touch of glamour to your hairstyle.
Claw clips are not only functional but also a fun and stylish way to accessorize your hair. Experiment with different styles and designs to find the perfect claw clip look for you.
V. Bandanas and Headbands
Bandanas and Headbands: A Fashion Statement
In the 90s, bandanas and headbands were not just practical hair accessories but also a fashion statement. They were popular among both men and women and were worn in various styles to add an edgy or bohemian touch to an outfit.
Bandanas were often tied around the forehead or worn as a headband, while headbands were commonly used to keep hair off the face in a stylish way. These accessories came in different colors, patterns, and materials, allowing individuals to express their personal style.
Different Ways to Wear Bandanas and Headbands
There were numerous ways to wear bandanas and headbands in the 90s. Some popular styles included:
- Tying a bandana around the forehead, creating a retro and rebellious look.
- Using a bandana as a headwrap, covering the entire head for a bohemian vibe.
- Wearing a headband across the forehead, achieving a sporty and trendy look.
- Using a headband to pull back loose strands of hair, keeping it neat and stylish.
Bandanas and headbands were versatile hair accessories that could be styled in countless ways, allowing individuals to experiment with their look and stay on-trend during the 90s.